Felting

By Georgia - March 18, 2018

 exploring colour in a different way - making my own fabric through felting wool with an embroidering needle and machine 
For this idea, I wanted to explore creating my own fabric samples using different contrasting colours of felting wool. I found this experiment to be very successful and the colours were very vivid and effective to what I wanted to achieve. I tried multiple colour schemes and worked on different fabrics as a background to see how the felting would work when applied to different backgrounds and if it would look the same on different thicknesses of fabric. I felt the most effective fabric to work on was the first, very thin white fabric, where the embroidery needle would pierce small holes in the fabric and catch on it slightly to give an almost natural/cell-like effect. This natural texture contrasting a lot with the synthetic, bright colours of the wool.
Whole Colour Spectrum;
Earthy tones;
Fiery yellows, browns;
Applying less wool, spreading it out;
Working on silk with cool tones;
Working on cotton;
Working on thicker dark fabric;
 - G 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments