Transparency In The Media

By Georgia - March 16, 2018

delving deeper into what 'transparency' means and how it can link through the media
As I was developing my work through different techniques and methods as seen previously, I began to look into how transparency could be applied in the media. For example how much transparency there is in how things are portrayed and exploring if secrets are kept and uncovering scandals/news. 
I wanted to link the location with the scandal so continued exploring how buildings could be linked to the place and using things like maps, continuous line drawings etc. I wanted to also incorporate newspaper and headlines back into the artwork so collected clippings and pages that I feel could be interesting.
I looked at fonts used in scandals and how the text was usually bold, loud and striking. Then in my own edits I decided to go with the bold text, but overlaying it on to pictures of places in London in black and white, keeping to a colour scheme of black, white and red. Black and white being the grey scale element from newspapers and the red linking to scandals, danger and things that are wrong.
To develop this idea further, I wanted to explore the idea of a transparent barrier/handcuffs. I wanted the idea to represent the idea of a barrier/something being held over someone such as guilt that we might not necessarily be able to see but we definitely feel mentally/emotionally.
I went on to create transparent handcuffs with clear plastic, using stitch and sharpies to write on the word scandal. I put these on a model and photographed this against a plain, white background, making sure that the focal point of the photograph was the transparent handcuffs. Importing this into Photoshop and Lightroom, I went on to edit the pictures I took to make them more contrasting and the shadows/highlights more bold.

I continued to try multiple edits, until I produced this outcome which I was really happy with, where I layered the picture on top of a newspaper article. I love the monochrome effect and how the hands are almost camouflaged into the newspaper/hidden, much like something that is transparent and wouldn't necessarily be seen such as emotions like guilt.

FINAL OUTCOME:
 - G 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments