St Pauls Cathedral Development

By Georgia - March 16, 2018

development of St Pauls Cathedral pictures, using pen, paint and stitch

I started looking into buildings and documenting this through different methods of sketching. Looking into St.Pauls in London, I tried a series of methods including; continuous line drawing, stitching, painting, using permanent markers.
I then looked at transparency in the media and especially looking into newspapers and began to collect ideas for a colour palette from the colours in newspaper. I went on to layer drawing St Pauls cathedral on top of the newspaper, I like the effect using one pen in a continuous line drawing. 
I also decided to paint the building in grey scale with a contrasting colour for the background. I drew out the building in layers, making sure to separate the building into dimension layers such as the foreground, middle ground and background etc. With every layer that I put on top, I made the grey lighter. Giving the illusion of dimension and the effect that the building was 3-D and popping out of the page.
I also experimented with stitch, using clear plastic and the sewing machine I stitched the outline of St Pauls and layered this over a marker colour block drawing on the page underneath. To explore/improve this further I would like to try this method with other landmarks or locations included in the media.
I also went on to use a black sharpie to create continuous line drawings of St Pauls, I like the boldness of the lines and would like to do this again but on clear plastic or tracing paper.
- G 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments