Colour experimentation

By Georgia - March 18, 2018

 exploring how one colour can be used in designs - looking into shade, texture and pattern and also looking into creating own colours/patterns using poster paint 
Below, I wanted to look how juxtaposition could be explored subtly through use of tone in one colour and how this could be put into my own work/drawings. Sketching from observation, I drew this portrait which I then added in different shades of yellow to add interest. To develop this further, I would work with different colours and try sketching the subject with a different medium, paying more attention to detail and line thickness. I also explored the use of colour being add in small sections onto a plain black and white drawing. I loved how the subtle colour gave the drawing dimension, so I would like to try this through my edits in photoshop, to add the colour digitally.
After this, I was really inspired by 1970s psychedelic patterns to try and make my own (using primary coloured poster paints and cut up cardboard scrapers). Laying the paint down, I used the cardboard to scrape the paint across and around the paper in different angles and shapes, I then scanned in and cropped the designs for use in editing. 
Some of the paint samples weren't as successful as I wanted them to go, it showed that using less paint created more texture and less smooth patterns, which wasn't what I wanted to create, so I chose to develop the smooth patterns in digital editing rather than those with a roughness to them.
To develop/improve on this further, I would make these patterns on a larger scale and would like to explore painting pouring or water marbling. 
 - G 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments