Laser Cutting

By Georgia - February 03, 2018

using the laser cutter to cut out my designs from my thumbnail printing ideas
For this task, I had the chance to use the laser cutter to develop my designs further and learn a new technique to use in future projects. 
Importing the initial thumbnail designs into adobe illustrator, I then continued to trace over the lines, saving these and importing them into the a 2-D Design programme, for the laser cutter to read and work. I enjoyed this process and found it interesting learning something new and gaining this skill to use again.


I loved how these designs came out, they look very similar to that of Kandinsky's work. This could be an opportunity for me to explore his work further?
As you can see above, I kept both pieces that were but: the negative space and the pieces cut out so that I could layer them, as seen in the pictures. I wanted to use contrasting colours, so went with red and an off-white pale green card stock to cut the design out of.
To improve on this, I would try to work more with different backgrounds and surfaces that I would cut into. For example, I would try to do a painting or drawings or a collage, then place that into the laser cutter for a different, textured effect. Also, if possible I would like to do this on a bigger scale and think more about the negative space areas whilst producing the design to cut out.
 - G 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments