Surface Manipulation + 3D Paper Maquettes

By Georgia - January 30, 2018


using an A2 sheet of paper, explored multiple ways of manipulating the surface and making elements 3D

For this project, I took a big A1 sheet of white paper and began to manipulate the surface in as many ways as possible to create texture, volume, shadows, sheer parts, holes, rips, tears, cuts etc. I really tried to maximise the material I had available to me and use it in lots of unconventional ways.


I wanted to make a monochromatic feel to my work, making sure I kept to all things white/cream, allowing myself the extra materials - craft knife, tape, masking tape, tracing paper and cream sugar paper.
With these extra materials, I went on to develop some more intricate 3-D work, maquettes made up of pleated elements and documented the shadows cast on these in the light box, using different coloured sheets of acetate over the lamp to cast different colours onto this plain, white object. It was interesting to see the shadows, contours and folds really stand out and change direction when the placement of the light source was changed. (as seen in photographs).

To develop my work even further, I'd like to layer in this maquette design into some photography or do some blind drawings from just feeling the texture of them.
- G

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments