Sensations Brief

By Georgia - January 31, 2018

 mindmap 
Here, I began jotting down some ideas that I could think of when I thought of the word 'sensations'. I began to break down sensations in our five senses; sight, smell, touch, taste and hearing, as I wanted not only to think about producing something visually but also an idea that could be perceived through other more modern methods. Going forwards with sight, there were a few ideas that really stood out to me which I wanted to develop was that to do with light and how putting things in front of a light source can change sensations.
 mock-up designs and cut out ideas  
I drew up some ideas of boxes that I wanted to shine light through and the process of how I wanted to do that. I had the idea of shining light through a cut out design and seeing how that can produce different shadows and react with the surface in different ways.
 developing cut-out designs further  
Taking these designs further, I went on to make small scale 3-D versions of these designs so that I could see some of the shadows produced and experiment with the positioning of the objects and where the light source could be placed to create different effects. The triangular pyramid and cube worked best with the outcome I was trying to produce. Whereas, the cone design didn't work very well when casting shadows.
To improve from this,I will make the cube and triangular pyramid again but on a bigger scale.
 small scale versions of potential designs or outcomes 
I moved my small scale designs into the sunlight coming through the windows and used my camera to photograph the shadows that the natural light was casting through the holes in my designs. I loved how these came out and would like to develop this further by working on a larger scale and doing some large sketches of what's been produced.


 making light filters and solutions  
I wanted to play about with how the light could be manipulated and changed in a different way than just changing a bulb or altering the brightness. So, I began to make my own filters that light could be shone through to make a new colour. I used materials such as tissue paper, pva glue + ink, paint, tracing paper and markers etc. The easiest and quickest solution that I could produce was the pva glue method, it gave me the ability to chose and make any colour filter that I wanted and the sheet could be as big or small as I wanted. So I could try this on a small or large scale.
  design sketches for 3-D sculptures 
To make my idea more interesting, I decided to work with more texture to consider the 'touch' sense. I still wanted to stick to using a transparent material, so worked with tracing paper. Manipulating the paper through pleating, folding, stitching and stapling. I then took the 3-D sculptures that I made and went on to use a light box to photograph the light omitting through them.
 photography of transparent designs and sculpture on light box 
As mentioned above, I took the 3-D pieces on to a light box and began placing them in different ways and photographing them from different angles to really pick up on how the light worked through the objects and how the different textures could be seen. Some of my favourite images were that with the coloured tracing paper placed in between the design and the light box. It produced bright, vivid visuals which I would like to develop further and contextualise into a poster maybe?



 - G 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments