Gel Lighting Studio Shoot

By Georgia - April 12, 2018

 exploring use of gel lighting to create coloured photographs in the studio and experimenting with different colours interacting with the surroundings and how it creates different moods 
For this shoot, I wanted to experiment with how the lighting in the studio could interact with the model and what different moods/effects it could create. At the beginning, I stuck to using plain white studio lights, having 2 in front of the model at an angle, going off when the shutter was pressed to fill in all of the shadows and make the model fully lit. However I wanted more contrast in her features, so I had one light brighter than the other so that it would power over the light of the left and cast a nice shadow on the left side. 
(I then imported these photos into Lightroom and Photoshop, increased the bright/contrast and got rid of any marks that were showing on the plain white background in the studio and got rid of any wrinkles/creases in the studio backdrop by using the content aware tool. I preferred how clean this made the photos look, so I'll carry on using this method in the future.
Developing this studio shoot further, I went on to switch out the colour of the lighting to gel lighting, making use of the pink, blue, red and purple filters. With her particular skin tone, the blue didn't work how I wanted it to, it was making the pictures come out too green and this wasn't the hue/effect I was going for, so I stuck to pinks/purples that gave a nice warm hue to them and were closer to what I was trying to achieve. 
 Whilst in the studio I thought that I'd also see what shadows/effects I could produce by just using one studio light, I loved how this came out but to improve further, I would've liked to have used a camera that worked better in a low lighting situation so that the subject was clearer, sharper and that less grain was visible. However, I do enjoy the outcome produced and know next time that I could try other things to improve it such as using a tripod or turning up the studio light a tad, and making the shadows darker through post-processing rather than just through the lighting at the time.
To improve on all of this further, I would like to try another studio shoot but plan out more in advance very specific types of photos I would like to produce and how I could use the lighting in much more adventurous ways instead of how I have previously used.
 - G 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments