Quentin Blake Exhibition at Heong Gallery

By Georgia - September 12, 2017

exploring how quentin blake works and the style of his work at the heong gallery

Visiting the Heong Gallery in Cambridge, we got the opportunity to take a look at some of Quentin Blake's best work. His work displays simplicity and shows that work doesn't have to be realistic to look good and complete.


His work opened my eyes to the way I could sketch and to try and apply to what I do that less can be more. 
my sketches of Blake's work
In my sketches, I tried as best as I can to replicate Blake's style and feel I was very successful in doing so. The light, feathery outlines were simple and effective. His use of colour schemes containing one colour but multiple tones paid off as very effective and would be something I'd like to explore in depth on this course. In his work, I love the subtle areas of colour he adds and the very contrasting black outlines of the setting/subject/s.

pictures from the surrounding gardens 
These pictures below are some that I took of the surrounding grounds around the Heong Gallery. A main graduation event was happening whilst we were there, which gave us all the opportunity to do observational sketches and improve our proportioning methods when drawing people.

edit
Below, I made a quick edit in Adobe Lightroom of one of the pictures of this man from the graduation event. His hat caught my eye and stood out to me as something I'd like to draw and capture. In Lightroom, I wanted the focus to be on the subject and hat and by making it black and white and increasing the contrast, I feel my aim was successfully completed. 
my sketches
In the picture below, you can see a small section of the sketches that I completed whist sitting down and observing the crowd.

To improve my work further, I'd like to do more observational drawing tasks and work quicker in future sketches. 
 -G 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments