Printing Thumbnail Designs + Outcomes

By Georgia - August 30, 2017


taking elements developed previously in paper sculptures and creating simplistic designs from them to further explore in prints

For this double page, we took elements from our previous paper sculptures and quick observational drawings and narrowed them down to simple geometric shapes. From this we layered lots of different angles and elements to form outcomes that could be coloured and developed further into A3 prints. I worked with bright contrasting colours that were; blue, green, orange, yellow and purple, making sure not to include muddy or dull colours like grey and brown as this wasn't the vibrant look I was hoping to produce.




final ideas

These below are what my final outcomes through this whole process went on to look like. I used paper collage in the background as a base layer to print on, making sure the collaged elements were some what harmonious together and looked appealing to the eye. Then printed over the top using corrogated cardboard cut to my ideal shapes and ones from my thumbnail designs. To make some of the designs more textured I added plasterers mesh tape, some coated in ink and some without to add slight minimalistic detailing and it added a more delicate finish to the design. The other two prints were done on a background of ink wash of varied colours and shapes. The last print I did was using a different method, it included me rolling out a layer of ink, placing the card onto the sheet and drawing out a design to peel away and reveal a very bold and angular design.

 I am very happy with the results and would like to develop them further by adding more elements of texture and manipulating the foreground surfaces.
- G 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments